If this is your first time coming here, you may want to Subscribe to my RSS feed. Remember to Digg it or Stumble it, if you enjoyed this post! :)

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cholesterol, LDL Cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol & Triglycerides


Cholesterol is a fatty substance that can be found in your bloodstream and in all your body cells. Around 75 percent of blood cholesterol is produce by your liver and other cells in your body. The rest 25 percent blood cholesterol is produced by the food that you eats.


Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDLs) or LDL Cholesterol is called Low-Density because it has low amount protein and a lot of fat in its molecule. LDs molecule take cholesterol to where it is needed in the body. Excess LDs that are not used by the body can build up fatty deposits in blood vessels, leading to heart disease. This is why LDLs are known as 'Bad Cholesterol'.


High-Density Lipoproteins (HDLs) or HDL Cholesterol is called High-Density because it has a high amount protein and low amount of fat in its molecule. HDs molecule take excessive colesterol in your bloodstream to your liver where it is broken down so the body can get rid of it. That is why HDLs are known as 'Good Cholesterol'.


Tryglycerides are carried in your blood as Very Low-Density Lipoprotein (VLDL). it's called Very Low Density because most of its molecule contain of Fat almost none of protein. A high tryglyceride level increase the risk of heart disease, although not as much as high cholesterol


Fat is eaten in three main forms:

* Saturated Fats - Usually from animal product such as dairy products, meats, eggs, poultry, butter and also some oils
* Polyunsaturated Fats - e.g. in some margarines and vegetable oils, some nuts and fish oils
* Monounsaturated Fats - Usually from plants, including some nuts and avocado

Saturated Fats tend to increase you blood cholesterol level. Some unsaturated fats lower the cholesterol level if they are used to replace saturated fats.